Beef Bourguignon Recipe
Beef Bourguignon, a classic French stew hailing from the Burgundy region, features tender cubes of beef seared to perfection and simmered in a luscious red wine sauce with aromatic ingredients, mushrooms, and shallots, creating a rich and earthy dish that's traditionally served over buttery mashed potatoes or crusty French bread. Below, you'll find a handy pdf to download or printable
We've also included the recipe. Just scroll down!
700g Farmers Pantry diced beef
200g (about 12) shallots, peeled
200g (about 2 large) carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
200g (about 8 rashers) Farmers Pantry bacon, diced
200g (about 10-12) mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced
30g plain flour
500ml red wine (such as Burgundy)
500ml beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until it becomes crispy. Remove the bacon and set it aside.
2. Season the diced beef with salt and black pepper. Brown the beef in the same pot, in batches if necessary, until it's well seared on all sides. Remove the beef and set it aside with the bacon.
3. In the same pot, add the peeled pearl onions, carrots, and mushrooms. Sauté them until they start to brown, then add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove the vegetables and set them aside.
4. Sprinkle the plain flour over the pot's remaining fat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes to create a roux.
5. Return the bacon and beef to the pot. Pour in the red wine and beef stock. Add the tomato paste, fresh thyme, bay leaves, and the sautéed vegetables. Stir to combine.
6. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer gently for about 2.5 to 3 hours, or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
7. Once the beef is fully cooked and tender, remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
8. Serve the Beef Bourguignon hot, garnished with fresh parsley, and accompanied by crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
Enjoy! Don't forget to tag us in your food pics from Farmers Pantry!