As we enter a new year, many of us look at ways we can kick start a healthier lifestyle. We’ve put together some tips to help to make healthier food choices which involve simple yet impactful changes.
1. Prioritise Whole Foods: Choose whole, minimally processed foods like lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats. They're rich in nutrients and fibre.
2. Choose Lean Proteins: Opt for lean cuts of meat, poultry without skin to reduce saturated fat intake. Choose Sirloin or fillet steak as they generally have less marbling.
3. Batch Cook: Preparing ahead can help us to eat a healthy meal when we're in a hurry or tired without turning to takeaways and fast food.
4. Cook at Home: Cooking at home allows you to control ingredients and cooking methods. Experiment with herbs, spices, and healthier cooking oils to add flavour.
5. Include More Vegetables: Aim to fill half your plate with vegetables. They're low in calories and high in nutrients, promoting overall health.
6. Limit Added Sugars: Reduce intake of sugary beverages, candies, and processed snacks. Replace them with naturally sweet options like fruits.
7. Hydrate with Water: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Limit sugary drinks and excessive caffeine intake.
8. Plan Ahead: Plan meals and snacks in advance to avoid impulsive, unhealthy choices. Have healthy options readily available.
9. Moderation, Not Deprivation: Allow yourself occasional treats in moderation. Depriving yourself completely can lead to cravings and overindulgence later.
Please feel free to speak to your local Farmers Pantry Butchers for advice on leaner cuts of meat and cooking options. We hope this helps to kick start your year in a healthy way!